top of page

Registering A Death


Who may register? If the person died in a house or hospital, the death can be registered by:

  • A Relative ​

  • An occupant of the house 

  • An official from the Hospital 

  • The person arranging the funeral 

Death occurring anywhere else can be registered by:

  • A Relative 

  • Someone who was present at the death 

  • The person who found the deceased 

  • The person in charge of the deceased 

  • The person arranging the funeral 

Most deaths are registered by a relative, the registrars would normally only allow other people there if there are no relatives available. 

Documents & Information You Will Need

​When registering a death, you will need the following documents:

  • Medical certificate of the cause of death ​and if available:

  • Council Tax Bill

  • Driving Licence 

  • Passport

  • Proof Of Address

  • Birth Certificate

  • NHS Medical card

  • Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate 

Information you will need to tell the registrar:

  • The Persons full name at the time of death 

  • Any names previously used (e.g., Maiden Name) 

  • The Persons date and place of birth 

  • Their Last address

  • Their occupation 

  • The full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving Spouse or Civil Partner 

  • Whether they are receiving a state pension or any other benefit 

Tell Us Once Service 

Tell us once is a service that lets you report a death to most Government organisations in one go. This service informs local and central government departments about the death and reduces the number of phone calls you need to make. The Registrar will post or email you information about this service along with a unique code to allow you to access this free service via telephone or online.

Tell us once will notify:

  • HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

  • Department for work and pensions (DWP)

  • Passport office 

  • Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA)

  • The Local Council 

  • Veteran's UK 

Documents You Will Receive 

If a Post-Mortem is not being held, The Registrar will issue you with:​

  • Certificate for Burial or Cremation (Green Form)

      Given to the Funeral Director as soon as possible

  • Certificate of Registration of Death (White Form) ​

       Known as a BD8, this form is for DWP Purposes 

  • Death Certificate 

      A Certified copy of the entry into the register 

If a Post- Mortem is being held to determine the cause of death and the deceased is to be cremated the coroner will issue:

  • Form Cremation 6 Certificate of Coroner 

Death Certificates


​Following the registration, death certificates are charged at £11.00 each. You will be able to buy one or more Death Certificate's at this time. These will be needed by the executor or administrator when sorting out personal affairs. Where you are using a death certificate to process financial matters for example; Banks, Building societies, Pension schemes etc an original will be required. It is good to have your debit card ready so these can be ordered straight away for you and avoid any delays in dealing with the affairs of the deceased.

We at Butterfly Funeral Services DO NOT require a copy of the death certificate.

The Registrar will email the ‘Green’ Form 9 directly to your chosen Funeral Director, it is important that the registrar knows the exact Funeral Director you are using and the email address that the “Green” Form 9 needs to be sent to, in this case it is  Please give us a call on 0116 269 8120  to let us know your registration appointment is complete and we will ensure we receive the “Green” form 9 from the registrar.

Other Things That Will Need To Be Done 

Not everything can be done straight away, particularly as this is a very difficult time for people to cope with, but it is important to:

  • Make sure everyone who needs to know is told

  • Arrange to see the deceased's solicitor and read the will as soon as possible, This will tell you if there are any special funeral requests and who the executors are. 

  • Start arranging the funeral 

  • Collect all the information and any documents you may need

bottom of page